Stimulus Prepaid Debit Cards – 5 Facts You Should Know
After providing initial economic impact payments by direct deposit and issuing checks, the Treasury Department decided to have its financial agent (MetaBank) issue debit cards in an effort to speed up the process of getting payments to individuals. This new process has led to a lot of confusion and generated many questions. Below are 5 answers to help you navigate your stimulus debit card.
1. Money can be transferred to a bank account. First you will need to call 800-240-8100 to activate your card. Then create a username and password at eipcard.com. There will be an option to “move money out” and you will need to enter your bank account and routing numbers to transfer the funds. Processing time is one to two business days.
2. Money can be drawn from an ATM. There are a number of in-network ATMs which money can be drawn without a fee. Locations can be found by clicking this ATM Locations link.
3. There are multiple ways to use the card. The money can be spent wherever prepaid Visa cards are accepted. This include stores, online retailers, and even some mortgage companies or landlords.
4. The card balance can be checked. You can log in at eipcard.com after setting up a username and password. If you decide to use as a prepaid card, then you will be able to track the transactions and remaining funds.
5. A replacement card can be issued. If you thought the original card was a scam or accidentally threw out with other junk mail, you can get the card replaced. The fee of $7.50 will be waived for the first replacement. You will need to call 800-240-8100 and follow the prompts to speak with a representative. The call should be made by the taxpayer who the card was issued to.
As we continue to learn more about the economic stimulus programs, we will be updating our social media pages and website with articles and links. If you want more information on COVID 19 relief or need help with tax preparation, contact our tax professionals at The Innovative CPA Group at 203-489-0612. Or contact us online.